skip to main content

TDAP Requirement

Back to School

Back to School

7th - 12th graders need a booster shot of Tdap before September 

Other required immunizations will be available

Cost is $10 and $3 for additional shots

Drop by one of these locations with your yellow shot record

Immunization Clinics
West Sacramento Public Health Dept.
500 B Jefferson Blvd., Suite 180
West Sacramento, CA 95605
Woodland Public Health Dept.                                  
137 N. Cottonwood St.1400                                     
Woodland, CA 95695                                                
Don't wait till the last minute, get the shot now!

For more info go to: Shots for School or Yolo County Immunization Program

Printable Flier: English or Spanish

Dear Parents and Guardians,

A new law requires all students entering grades 7th to 12th to have a Tdap booster..  This shot protects your child against whooping cough (Pertussis), which is now an epidemic in California. 

Pertussis is a very contagious disease that can last for weeks or months. The protection they received from the shots they got earlier or from having had pertussis before wears off, so they can get it again. One dose of Tdap vaccine will protect them, their friends and family members, and the community.

If your child has already received the Tdap booster after their 7th birthday, please bring the record to the school office.  Our current records may not have this recorded as it is a new shot requirement.

If your child has not received the Tdap booster, please contact your health care provider or clinic to receive the shot as soon as possible.  After receiving the shot, please bring the record to the school office. 

All immunization records must be signed or stamped by a licensed health care provider or clinic.

If you have any questions, you may contact your school nurse.

Washington Unified School District Nurses
Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q:  What is Tdap?
    • Tdap is a booster vaccine for older children, adolescents, and adults. It safely protects against 3 dangerous diseases: tetanus, diphtheria, and whooping cough (also called pertussis).
    • Tetanus – (also called lockjaw) causes painful tightening of the muscles. It can lead to “locking” of the jaw so the person cannot open his/her mouth or swallow.
    • Diphtheria – is a throat infection that can lead to breathing problems, paralysis, heart failure and death.
    • Whooping cough – (also called pertussis) is a contagious disease that causes violent coughing fits that make it hard to breathe. It spreads easily when someone with the disease coughs or sneezes. Symptoms can last for months. Whooping cough is very dangerous for young babies.
  • Q: What is the new Tdap requirement for 7th– 12thgraders?
    • A new law (AB 354) changing California immunization requirements for all students entering 7th-12th grades states that:
    • This coming school year (2011-2012), all students entering into 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grades will need proof of an adolescent whooping cough booster shot (called “Tdap”) before starting school.
    • For the next school year (2012-13) and future school years, all students entering into 7th grade only will need proof of a Tdap shot to start school.
    • A student will be considered to have met the new school requirement with proof of getting a dose of Tdap on or after the 7th birthday.
  • Q:  Do ALL 7th – 12th grade students need to get the “Tdap” shot?
    • Yes, this includes current students, new students and transfer students in both public and private schools.
    • For the 2011-2012 school year, all students going into 7th-12th grades must have proof of having had the Tdap booster vaccination before starting school.  Beginning the 2012 – 2013 school year, the law will only affect 7th graders. Limited exemptions are allowed.
  • Q:  What if my child does not have proof of a Tdap shot before school starts?
    • He/She may not start school.Any student who does not have proof of getting a Tdap booster shot will not be allowed to start school until proof of vaccination is given to the school.
  • Q:  What do I do if my child has received a Tdap vaccination?
    • Once your child has received a Tdap vaccination, get a copy of your child’s immunization record and bring it into the school that your child attends.
    • A school nurse or other staff will review and record the proof of your child’s Tdap vaccination, allowing your child to start school in the upcoming school year.
  • Q:  Where can I get a copy of my child’s immunization record?
    • Contact your doctor’s office or clinic for a copy.
    • If your child does not currently have a doctor, contact the last doctor who provided vaccinations to your child. 
  • Q:  My child received TDAP before the new school law: does he or she need it again?
    • If your child’s immunization record shows proof of a dose of Tdap on or after the 7th birthday, he/she does not need to get vaccinated again.
Free or Low Cost Health Insurance

Free or Low Cost Health Insurance

Yolo County Children's Alliance        
1200 Anna St. Rm 21         
West Sacramento, CA 95605    
(916) 572-0560  

There is a plan available for your child.  Call today.

Yolo County Children's Alliance has professionals that can help families apply for health coverage, food stamps, childcare, and more, free of charge.

Free/Low Cost Insurance