TDAP Requirement

 Frequently Asked Questions 


1)    What is Tdap?

 - Tdap is a booster vaccine for older children, adolescents, and adults. It safely protects against 3 dangerous diseases: tetanus, diphtheria, and whooping cough (also called pertussis).

 - Tetanus – (also called lockjaw) causes painful tightening of the muscles. It can lead to “locking” of the jaw so the person cannot open his/her mouth or swallow.

- Diphtheria – is a throat infection that can lead to breathing problems, paralysis, heart failure and death.

-Whooping cough – (also called pertussis) is a contagious disease that causes violent coughing fits that make it hard to breathe. It spreads easily when someone with the disease coughs or sneezes. Symptoms can last for months. Whooping cough is very dangerous for young babies.

2)    What is the new Tdap requirement for 7th– 12thgraders?

- A new law (AB 354) changing California immunization requirements for all students entering 7th-12th grades states that:

-This coming school year (2011-2012), all students entering into 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grades will need proof of an adolescent whooping cough booster shot (called “Tdap”) before starting school.

For the next school year (2012-13) and future school years, all students entering into 7th grade only will need proof of a Tdap shot to start school.

- A student will be considered to have met the new school requirement with proof of getting a dose of Tdap on or after the 7th birthday.


3)    Do ALL 7th – 12th grade students need to get the “Tdap” shot?

- Yes, this includes current students, new students and transfer students in both public and private schools.

For the 2011-2012 school year, all students going into 7th-12th grades must have proof of having had the Tdap booster vaccination before starting school.  Beginning the 2012 – 2013 school year, the law will only affect 7th graders. Limited exemptions are allowed.


4)    What if my child does not have proof of a Tdap shot before school starts?

He/She may not start school.Any student who does not have proof of getting a Tdap booster shot will not be allowed to start school until proof of vaccination is given to the school.


5)    What do I do if my child has received a Tdap vaccination?

- Once your child has received a Tdap vaccination, get a copy of your child’s immunization record and bring it into the school that your child attends.

-A school nurse or other staff will review and record the proof of your child’s Tdap vaccination, allowing your child to start school in the upcoming school year.


6)    Where can I get a copy of my child’s immunization record?

Contact your doctor’s office or clinic for a copy.

- If your child does not currently have a doctor, contact the last doctor who provided vaccinations to your child.


7)    My child received TDAP before the new school law: does he or she need it again?

- If your child’s immunization record shows proof of a dose of Tdap on or after the 7th birthday, he/she does not need to get vaccinated again.